Was primarily a college work blog, but now that I have finished for the year, it will show more of my own work.

Friday 11 February 2011

Texture projection tests

Since i have to get a reasonable polygon count while making the bricks on my buildings look quite good, while at the same time making each brick appear slightly different and laying extra effects over the whole thing, I did some texturing tests. I was having trouble getting a flat projected texture to work across al the bricks within my cloner object, in my buildings i play to use this to add things like moss and ivy that might grow up the buildings, as well as dirt or graffiti that might be on walls. I have no idea why i couldn't get the projection to work initially, but I Got it working and can apply a single texture across al the bricks in a wall now.
Of course the bricks aren't perfect because they are too squared and the edges need to be less sharp so they look old, but as a test of textures I think the way I'm doing it will work fine. The bricks all have a base texture on them, and have a very slight alpha channelled red on the top of them all to make them less like sand blocks, the is a green texture that uses ambient occlusion as mask so the creases and areas which would be affected by ambient occlusion have a dirty green texture on them. The last texture is just "LOL" made in Photoshop quickly to make it look like graffiti that is on the wall. I think it definitely does the job and should make modelling my environments easier now that i got this working.

No comments:

Post a Comment