Was primarily a college work blog, but now that I have finished for the year, it will show more of my own work.

Thursday 30 December 2010

Christmas break update

I thought i would update my blog since it's nearing the end of the second week off for Christmas. During this break i was supposed to catch up on the work for the first two briefs of the second year which i was behind on because of the work related brief. This hasn't gone exactly to plan, because i caught a virus and a chest infection the day after finishing college, and was unable to do anything at all until Christmas day. Regardless i started working on things as soon as i was able and will hopefully get everything done in time.

So far i have finished the rigging of my steam powered robot character which i has been waiting for a while now, and it seems quite successful so far. I worked out pretty much all of the problems i had with various parts of the rigging. For a start the character foot kept flipping upside down when the controller when in a certain direction, this is because of a constraint on the foot bone, but i fixed it and my method seems to have no problems of its own. After this i filled all the gaps between my characters fingers with rivets which i think look very good. I finally found a texture to use for my robots steam gauge and i made an indicator which is controlled by a slider. I reluctantly decided to use the split torso version of my character to give him better movement in his spine, which i wasn't too happy about because i think it looks worse like that, but after rigging it up and getting it in a pose i think that it looks fine. there were several more things i fixed or added, but those are the main things. Aside from that all i need to do to it now it align some of his pistons so they move in the right directions and squash and stretch as they should, and i need to add several gas/oil tubes using soft IK splines but that takes very little time. Now that my character is rigged though I'm going to create a second model sheet to go with the first one showing poses and expressions/features.

Thats enough of an update for now, i will upload a still of my character posed up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment